The ICCF Champions League (ICCF-CL) is a correspondence chess Team Tournament event played in 2 years cycle seasons. All registered teams play in several groups part of the three existing divisions: A, B and C. At the end of each season teams can promote/relegate as explained by these present rules. Players within a team may be of any nationality or mixture of nationalities. All games played in ICCF-CL are rated.
Organisation of the Champions’ League is the responsibility of the Non-Title Tournaments Commissioner. All sections of the Champions’ League are played by webserver. The playing rules in effect are the ICCF Playing Rules for Webserver Team Tournaments.
An ICCF-CL Support team consisting of tournament directors (TDs), webmasters, administrators and consultants are in charge of running the daily activities in the league.
ICCF Champions League brief history
- SEASON 1 (Qualification round): 2002-2004; 242 teams, max cat.8; NTTC: Valer-Eugen Demian (CAN)
- SEASON 2: 2004-2007; 222 teams, max cat.12; NTTC: Valer-Eugen Demian (CAN)
- SEASON 3: 2007-2009; 271 teams, max cat.12; NTTC: Valer-Eugen Demian (CAN)
- SEASON 4: 2009-2011; 195 teams, max cat.11; NTTC: Valer-Eugen Demian (CAN)
- SEASON 5: 2012-2014, NTTC: Andrew Dearnley (ENG)
ICCF-CL season 4
CL/2010/A (status as of 23.11.2011)
|4||Zugzwang Bocholt 2||GER||2518||25||0|
|6||Trojanische Schachautomaten Berlin||GER||2538||24.5||4|
|8||Hamburger SG – BUE||GER||2419||23.5||0|
|10||HSG Uni Rostock||GER||2452||22.5||1|
|11||CS Energy Cameron – Campina||ROU||2395||20.5||2|
Promotions and relegations (14.01.2010)
Division A (13 teams):
- Remain 5
- Relegate bottom 8 teams
Division B (4×13 = 52 teams):
- Promote top 2 per each group: 2 x 4 = 8
- Relegate bottom 5 per each group: 5 x 4 = 20
Division C (10×13 = 130 teams):
- Promote top 2 per each group 2 x 10 = 20
There is a special website “ICCF Champions League” where more information can be found.
At the ICCF Congress 2011 Valer-Eugen Demian (CAN) offered his letter of resignation from Non-Title Tournament Commissioner, effective immediately. One volunteer stepped forward, Andrew Dearnley (ENG) to a unanimous vote of confidence by Congress.
Tournament rules for the ICCF Champions’ League are to be inserted into the existing Tournament rules.